Sunday 28 October 2012

Frame together!

Sorry but I've been busy the last few weeks with school, so I haven't had time to write an update.
Right, lets get back to the good stuff!
After we sprayed all the bits of the bike, we could start putting them together. First, I put the frame and sub-frame together. Then there was a decision! Should I keep the rear shock absorber, or should I buy a new one?... My Dad, who's helping me on this project, thought that we should buy a new shock absorber because the old one was leaking oil and it looked quite tatty. In the end we chose to buy a new one. My Dad looked on Ebay, and he found a nice one, so we bought it. When it arrived, we got ready and put it in.




Then, we thought about putting the forks in. So my Dad started cleaning inside the head stock and there was another problem. When he was cleaning a ball bearing came out which he thought was bad news as he couldn't get it back in. But then he noticed the ball bearing was cracked, so my Dad went on a hunt for some new ones. We put some grease in and fitted in the ball bearings.
Next, we put the forks on and put in more ball bearings.

We then put the two foot rests on. Annoyingly one of them isn't original as it had been broken off. When we went to Founders Days a few weeks ago, I found one and we bought it. There was a bit on it that poked out which would clamp on to the bike which we cut off. We smoothed it down, and then asked my friend to weld it on to the frame. The other footrest, we clamped on.

We put the side stand on, which stops the bike from wobbling over.

Next we put on the wheels. We nutted them on, and called it a day! I was very pleased with how it looked, as it was no longer just bits and pieces, but it now looked like a bike.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up Fred, and don´t forget to thank your dad for teaching you a path that will never grow old. Welll done litle man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. First of many hopefully.

    ReplyDelete